Spiced Roasted Garlic


 A week ago my husband picked up a 3 lb bag of peeled garlic. Now who doesn’t love garlic that’s already been peeled for you? View video


NOBODY! However as much as I tried to use it, I didn’t quite need so much. Before I just threw our money away, I decided to roast the entire batch so I would have the smoky delicious little bundles on hand whenever I needed to throw it into a hummus, flavor a roast or spice up a butter. 

After I washed and cleaned them, I weighed the garlic again and I had about 2 lbs  – still a lot of roasted garlic but I have a big heart and I’ve already packed it in bottles to share with my friends.


Ingredients

2 lbs cleaned garlic cloves
1 red onion sliced
Kosher or coarse salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp turmeric or haldi
1/2 tsp kasuri methi leaves
1/2-3/4 cup canola oil

In a roasting pan mix all the ingredients together and roast in a preheated oven for 1 – 2 hours. The cooking time really varies on the quantity you’re roasting, the oven and the surface area of the pan so watch it till it’s nice and golden brown. Remove the pan frequently and stir so you’re moving all the brown bits around and flipping the cloves as they turn a dark golden brown. Because I’m going to bottle them, I try to be very gentle with the cloves as I’m mixing so they stay whole. View video


No comments:

Post a Comment